ProtoLib - Book administration in .NET

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2

Yesterday I received a box with four DVDs with the materials from the Visual Studio 2005 Beta experience, containing VS2005 and also SQL Server 2005 and 'We fly 24/7', an end to end project done with VS2005 involving Windows, Web and mobile applications.

I was using the Beta 1 Express edition of C# for a while, but given that I find easier to work with VS2003 I haven't used it to do any real job. So I was taking it out of my notebook and installing the new tools. I started at 9 in the morning while working in the office, and finished ten minutes before 12, a long process but not so different from VS2003.

I made a mistake in the middle because I went first for VS2005, then for MSDN documents and finally for SQL Server, and in my haste to have everything ready I didn't read the installation notes for SQL which specify that you need to uninstall the Express version before. That is, I uninstalled my Beta 1 versions of everything, but never realized that VS installs a SQL Express by itself, and when I started looking for Server Management Studio I found my menu with only the SQL Express and no tools at all. After reading the notes and following the instructions everything was completed without major problems (a funny thing happens in my notebook because my screen resolution is 1400 by 1050 pixels with 120 DPI fonts, and the images and some buttons during installation were out of place, but in the desktop computer everything goes smoothly). Now is time to start running!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home