ProtoLib - Book administration in .NET

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A bit of history

I like books very much. My library includes around 600 books and magazines, and I also have good number of manuals and articles living in my CD collection.

In 1995, when I started working with Delphi, I was playing with the idea to make a program to catalog my books and to share it with my friends to have a kind of semi-public library (some of them have good collections too), because at that moment I couldn't find a product for Windows with all the features that I wanted. Finally I made other kind of programs, with a broader approach to classification, and the book project went to the closet.

Usually I remembered where most of my paper books were and was able to go for each one in my shelves, but since we moved to Ireland a year ago (leaving the library at my mother's house) I must rely in the digital collection, which is more difficult to remember. I start shuffling my CDs, and sometimes directly jump to the Internet and download the files again (which is a problem with the excelent Microsoft 'Patterns and Practices' material, because I always got lost in the website). I started thinking again in a book management program, but now in C#, given that I like it much more than Delphi.

The biggest issue with that project, apart from the fact that I spent most of my day in the office, is that even I am using C# since 2002, I haven't done a complete project in it (something that I did a lot of times in Delphi). I made web services, Windows apps, ASP.NET apps, libraries, components and a lot of other things under the .NET Framework, but never started from nil and finished with a fully installed and supported product. This is a challenge, but at the same time it scares me a little.

At the same time there are other problems around. This will be my first atempt to write in English (as you probably guessed after the first sentence), and I will try to set up a development environment at home to use in other projects. I am waiting for a DVD with the Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005, and probably I will finish the job using it, even than I will start with VS2003. Time constraints are in place too, because I don't want to spent more than four weeks of my spare time before having an idea about if I am able to do the job that I want in a reasonable lapse. I will start working only with my things at home, but later I might place the project in SourceForge, and I haven't done any serious job in open source before. Part of my idea is to learn from the comments from other people about tools and programming, but at the same time is a little scary to allow my creatures to run naked in the wild open (I *know* that my code is *perfect*, but there is a curse that make it become horrible each time that I show it to somebody I respect and admire, or to Magoo). I am also mentoring a friend in Argentina about the .NET Framework and probably we will use this project to set up the tools to have a distributed development team in place. All in all, the next four weeks looks very interesting :-)

My next post will be the specifications for ProtoLib.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home